Tuesday, March 20, 2007

birthday treats

There are lots of things to write about. They can be roughly divided into 'good' and 'bad'; I'll only write about the 'good'. (The 'bad' is more hospital visits, more needles, more aches and pains, and more things I don't want to broadcast to the whole internet)

So, some good things. On Monday, it was my birthday, and Jeremy and I went out for dinner. It was delicious; I had fish and he had veal. J gave me a book I've been wanting for a long time, so I have been reading it and trying to savour, rather than devour. My favourite present was from my Mum:




This is a salt 'n' pepper shaker set and some butter dishes, made by Crown Lynn for Air New Zealand in the mid-twentieth century. I've been hankering after something from this range for a few years, but could never afford it on trademe. Mum said she saw an s'n'p set for $140! But she paid a far more reasonable price. So my desire for this crockery design has been satiated, and now I'll have to find something else to collect. But aren't they beautiful?
The other main good thing that has happened is the arrival of passionfruit at the fruit markets. These are my most favourite fruit, followed closely by limes, lemons, nectarines, and berries of any type. I am a fruit fiend; my husband, strangely, is not. (All the more for me!) I intend to buy up large when it is nearing the end of the (regrettably short) season, and make more passionfruit syrup. I have a fabulous recipe for a lemon curd and passionfruit syrup cake, but the store-bought syrups are too sweet for my liking.
And that's all for now. A beloved family member is coming to visit next week, but my most favourite family member is going away next week. So it may be a bit lonely, although there is plenty of work to keep me busy. Holidays soon, but holidays always mean assessments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That set is beautiful and the colour is so pretty. Lucky you. Glad your birthday got birthday-ish!

I am hoping I get the start of some summer fruit here, or perhaps the end of the fejoa season in NZ; Mum will hopefully bottle me some before my sister devours them all.