Wednesday, October 31, 2007

a horse, after all

Today I am a major grouch. I spent most of the night trying to find a comfortable position to lie in; preferably one that didn't involve my back or my stomach/ribs touching anything. Of course, this is impossible (I'm not a horse, you know), so I didn't get enough sleep.

Jeremy had to practically hoist me out of bed this morning, such were the aches in my legs and ribs. I am lucky that he is so patient with me on Wednesday mornings. He offers to make anything from a full variety of breakfast items, knowing that I usually a) feel like I'm going to vomit, and b) chewing anything hard, crunchy, or in anyway un-liquid hurts my jaw/head (it's all that bone marrow in the skull). Today I had berry yoghurt, and that was good. Except when it was 11am, and I hadn't eaten anything else. I had to try and quell my tummy-grumbles as I listened to the speaker going wayyy over her time limit. I managed to keep myself from sliding off my chair into a hungry and overheated puddle, but it put me into a foul mood that is still to dissipate.

Making me slightly happier is moving a book from 'Want to read' to 'Reading now' on my Facebook Visual Bookshelf. I bought Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver from Unity Books yesterday. I've been wanting to read it for a long time, and I stroke the beautiful-paper cover every time I go into the shop. Yesterday, I was weighing up whether to buy a book by Theodore Dalrymple or the Kingsolver, and BK won. I was in a bad mood yesterday afternoon too, and I thought the Kingsolver book would cheer me up. And it did.
So I have sore bones, and there isn't really any remedy for it. It usually passes by Thursday, which means I should be less grouchy by tomorrow. I think I'll spend the rest of the afternoon eating a delicious Granny Smith apple, reading my new book, and thinking about how good I've got it. After all, I could be a horse.

No comments: