Tuesday, September 25, 2007

couscous? yumyum!

I'm eating reheated leftovers from last night, and boy they taste good. I've included the recipe in this post, because it is something the world needs to share. The part that takes the longest is chopping the ingredients, so if you are a super-fast chopper, then the whole dish would probably take 10 minutes. Otherwise, about 15 minutes. I think I've got it down to about 12 minutes..

On a non-food-related note, I am putting together my CV for various jobs around the world that I am interested in applying for. Jeremy and I are both really excited at the prospect of moving; we stayed up til 1am one night last week, talking in the dark about all the things we would do, and all the things we would miss. What better time of our life is there to pack up and move? The answer is, none.

Small aside: Another half-day stay in the emergency department yesterday. Same complaint as last time (spleen-area pain), with same result from doctor: "There is obviously something wrong, but we can't find it despite three different tests. So have a prescription for a million painkillers and rest at home." So I'm codeine-d and ibruprofen-ed, and at home. Luckily I have two weeks holiday, although I've got to write an essay, do lots of work on my next publication, and start another (the last!) assignment. But I am going to choose a day to just do things for me, which will probably involve drinking decaf coffee at Elements, going to the library, and maybe even an afternoon at the movie theatre.

My brain is pretty foggy from the drugs, but I have to finish the cover letter. First impressions last (when job-seeking), so I'd better make sure I don't spell anything wrong. Something I have been wondering about: if I apply for a job in America, should I convert my CV and letter to American English? I can't decide.

Before I go, here is the recipe:

Pan couscous with chorizo and green beans
Serves 4, takes about 15 minutes from start to plate

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 red onion, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 long red chilli, sliced (omit if you're not a fan of hot food, but it is pretty good!)
  • 2 chorizo sausages, sliced
  • 400g can tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 150g green beans, sliced
  • 1 1/4 cups couscous
  • 1 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves (I used flat-leaf parsley because our coriander plant didn't survive the winter, and it tasted good.)
  • lemon wedges to serve (Don't forget this! Lemon is a perfect partner for couscous)

Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
Add the oil, onion, garlic, chilli and chorizo, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, stock, and beans, and sprinkle over the couscous.
Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
Top with the coriander and serve with the lemon.

(Source: Donna Hay magazine)

thereissomuch variations:
I add the coriander/parsley with the onions, garlic, etc. And then a little more at the end for decoration.
If you want a vegetarian version, omit the chorizo and add more vegetables (capsicum, sun-dried tomatoes, maybe some celery) and olives. Actually, even if you aren't a vegetarian, add capsicum. It tastes really good in this dish.

No comments: