Wednesday, February 14, 2007

insuring and ensuring

I have done so many things this morning, and I feel like I have to tell someone. The biggest mountain conquered today is the renewal of the contents insurance policy I took out when I first moved to Wellington. I've updated it to include all of Jeremy's things, including his drum kit.

It's scary to think about how much it would cost to replace all our possessions; it is hard to put values on things, like my collection of children's books. Some of those books are almost priceless to me, with their colouring pen scribbles and chewed corners. And what about all the artwork that dear friends Henrietta, Nick, Peter, Bex, and others, have made for me over the years? What about the formica extendable dining table I bought from the recycling centre for $10 a few years ago, which has loyally followed me through every move, despite not actually fitting into my car or through the door of the last two houses? Old photos of friends and family, our wedding photos, the letters and little notes from Jeremy I've kept over the years, my Dad's collection of notebooks filled with things he thought were interesting? I'll never be able to replace any of those things. In fact, I've told Jeremy that if our house was on fire, I want him to rescue the two shoeboxes on top of the tall bookcase - one filled with memories of J; the other, G. If time, he could grab some (any) books and the box of photos under the couch.. Or me.

Anyway, back to what I have completed today:

  • New insurance policy set up, and payment organised. Found out that our insurance has tenant liability protection, so if the house does burn to the ground, and it isn't our fault, we are not liable to pay for anything. Phew.
  • Found out how to hire academic dress for graduation ceremony in May. Must send off payment next week so we don't miss out. (Jeremy and I will be graduating on the same day, which is quite exciting - I wonder if we can walk in the parade together? J is much more experienced at walking in parades than I)
  • Renewed AA membership
  • Sorted out power bill
  • Sorted out health insurance payment
  • Paid scooter registration
  • Put the washing out

And it's only just 11:00am! This afternoon is going to be a bit quieter; I need to return some books and a movie to the library. The Kilbirnie Library is my latest favourite haunt. Lots of parking, friendly staff, and a reasonably good selection of books and movies, if a little small. They have lots of new books though. But I can't get too many out, because I am about to start reading Cowboy Dog by Nigel Cox. I bought it for Jeremy while we were waiting at the airport last weekend, and he reports that it is very good. And I figure it can't hurt to be halfway through a book written by a New Zealander when I start this publishing course..

After the library visit, I am booked to have a massage - my Valentine's Day gift from J. Last year for Valentine's Day, J gave me a torch. So this is a little more romantic, although I did need the torch.. I used to work as a PA and receptionist at a massage therapy (not massage parlour, Ben), and was the recipient of many free massages, in fact I became quite an addict. Except I can't afford them now that I don't work there, or even live in the same city, so this is a treat indeed. Two of my lovely friends, Lesley and Claire, bought me the same massage 'deal' as a wedding present, and as well as a back/neck/shoulder massage, it includes a scalp massage and an exfoliating unguent rubbed into your back, just heavenly! If I ever end up working a full-time job, then maybe I will have these more often.

Hospice duty this weekend. I just had an e-mail from the co-ordinator asking me to show a new volunteer the ropes, as my usual partner can't make it. It's not very hard work, and you get such great rewards. Last time I was there, I talked with a nice old lady about her knitting, and she showed me the alpaca wool she was making some gloves from, a beautiful aqua-green colour and just so soft.

Lastly, I want to share this recipe with my readers. I made some of these Anzac biscuits yesterday, and they proved as good as last time I made them, so I think the recipe is pretty reliable. Except I have a feeling that I used two tbsp golden syrup by mistake, but it hasn't affected the taste in any way, probably just a bit sweeter..

***

Adventure Company Anzac Biscuits
(recipe from essentially food, supplied by The Marlborough Sounds Adventure Company)

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup coconut
1 cup rolled oats (I use wholegrain)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
125g butter, melted
1 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsps hot water

- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Roll into small balls, and place on greased or lined baking trays.
- Flatten each biscuit with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Cool and store in a baking tin.
- Makes lots; I made around 40. Depends how big they are, I guess.

NB: the mixture will be resonably dry, so you have to work hard to get the biscuits to roll into a ball. On the plus side, all the oats and coconut exfoliates your hands and leaves them feeling very soft, if a little buttery.

No comments: